1. Over 120 medical conditions are first detected by a dental exam.
*Hardening of the Arteries
2. 117,000 school hours are missed for every 100,000 students due to oral health issues.
3. 40% of the bacteria found in the carotid artery fatty deposits of stroke suffers came from the mouth.
4. Spontaneous pre-term births are 7-8 times more likely in women with gum disease.
5. Dental benefits encourage preventive care. Every $1 spent on prevention saves $4 in treatment.
6. Total expenditures on dental services have increased from $13 billion to $54 billion between 1980 and 1998.
|Texas Farmers Union, P.O. Box 738, Sweetwater, Tx 79556|