Texas Farmers Union’s producer members would like to say a hearty “Thank you” to Congressman Henry Cuellar, Congressman Ciro Rodriguez and our Secretary of Agriculture
Tom Vilsak for allowing us, along with many other Texas producers, this opportunity to express our opinions concerning the policies that should be included in the next farm bill.
This farm bill must be written by and for the Texas and U.S. producers instead of multi-national corporations and their lobbyists. These policies will return profitability to our food, grain, fiber, dairy and livestock producers. This will assure the people of Texas, the U.S. and the world of the safest, healthiest, most abundant and the most affordable food supply in the history of mankind.
The new farm bill should address:
• an adequate safety net that is counter-cyclical and based on the cost of production.
• disaster assistance that is commodity and seasonal specific.
• target prices and Joan prices that reflect cost of production.
• trade agreements that are fair to producers and all Americans.
• Congress must resume its responsibility to oversee U.S. trade policy.
• a farmers owned reserve properly managed that will assure all people an adequate supply of food during times of disaster.
It is the belief of Texas Fanners Union that a producer driven farm bill will return a strong economy to rural America, to Texas, to our Nation and the rest of the world. Thank you again for this opportunity and I would be happy to address more on the farm bill when time allows us.
Wes Sims, President
Texas Farmers Union
|Texas Farmers Union, P.O. Box 738, Sweetwater, Tx 79556|